HYDRATION & DEHYDRATION
Dehydration is said by some medical observers to be a major problem and perhaps the cause of many diseases or other bodily ailments. By example watch the video HERE where a medical doctor in USA describes this exact phenomena.
Reference here presents the views of a nutritional specialist who says consuming drinking water which has been processed or treated with a reverse osmosis ('RO') filtering system will likely result in dehyration. He says this is his experience with 1000's of his clients, and is due to the RO process causing the water it produces not to properly hydrate a person drinking that water regularly. Read more HERE.
Maybe it is is part due to the body using an osmosis process to hydrate cells. Perhaps when water is pushed through a RO system, its memory imprints the opposite function to the osmosis of cellular hydration in our bodies?
Water has many roles in our bodies, one important one (see this video HERE for other important roles of water we drink) being to hydrate our bodies and all our cells within our bodies.
How Does Hydration Inside Our Bodies Work?
Water crosses cell membranes by two routes: by diffusion through the lipid bilayer and through water channels called aquaporins. Functional characterization of the first aquaporin was reported in 1992, but water channels were suspected to exist well before that time, because the osmotic permeability of some types of epithelial cells was much too large to be accounted for by simple diffusion through the plasma membrane, says R Bowen.
In 2003, the Nobel Prize was awarded for the discovery of a protein structure within the cell membrane that is one of the above stated forms of regulation for water transport into the cells, called aquaporins. The proteins are positively charged, meaning that only negatively charged water molecules can enter the cell, maybe only one molecule at a time.
This discovery may help explain the observation that structured, alkaline water that delivers smaller clusters of water with a negative charge is more hydrating and absorbed faster – with the water that is a better hydrator, people don't feel bloated and sloshy after drinking it.
Symptoms of Dehydration
According to naturopathic physician Dr. Christopher Vassey, author of The Water Prescription there are 12 symptoms that should make you drink a glass of water:
- Fatigue, Energy loss
- Digestive issues
- High or low blood pressure
- Gastritis, stomach ulcers
- Respiratory issues
- Acid-Alkaline imbalance
- Excess weight
- High cholesterol
- Joint pain
- Wrinkled, dry skin
The adult body is a walking water bag – 45 liters or 11 gallons – 75% water on average. Even more important, the human brain is 85% water and a loss of just 1% affects its ability to function at its best. Every life-sustaining function of the body requires water – that's why water has been called the 'elixir of life'. It is possible to survive 40 days without food but only 7 days without water. No wonder there's a rich mythology about the search for and existence of "the fountain of youth". Adequate hydration is critical to how our body functions and heals itself.
USES OF WATER & HYDRATION
Here are some facts you may not know:
- The main cause of daytime fatigue is dehydration.
- Water keeps joints lubricated and cushioned. Water is supports digestion and elimination.
- Water fuels metabolism in every cell in your body, transports nutrients, and removes waste.
- Dehydration reduces the body's ability to remove acid wastes.
- Water is needed to manufacture all neurotransmitters (like serotonin) and all hormones (like melatonin) in your brain. Just a 1% loss of water affects the brain's ability to function properly.
- Water supports the immune system.
- Water helps red blood cells collect oxygen. When you are dehydrated, your blood is thicker, more acidic, and more likely to clot.
- Water lubricates all your joints and your digestive tract and supports healthy colon and urinary tract function
- Adequate hydration reduces the severity and frequency of headaches
- If you're well hydrated, you will recover faster from injury, surgery or illness.
- Water regulates body temperature.
- Water helps to break down and metabolize fats and carbohydrates, and helps the body utilize sugar and salt.
- Water plays a major role in appetite control.
- 8 - 10 glasses of water a day may significantly ease back pain and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.
- Drinking at least 8-10 glasses of pure water a day decreases the risk of getting breast cancer by 79%, colon cancer by 45% and bladder cancer by 50%.
- The thirst signal means you are already dehydrated, and as we age, that thirst signal is muted.
WATER WATER EVERYWHERE
Water is involved in every type of cellular process in your body and is necessary for improving as well as maintaining good health. It will keep you hydrated, alert and maintain a healthy balance in your entire body.